Take total control of your schedule and contribute to your community by signing up for the Shipt app. By shopping for other people’s groceries and delivering them to your neighbors’ doorsteps, you can decide to work either full-time or part-time while planning your workday around your busy schedule.
Are you sitting there asking the question, “How much does Shipt pay?” We’ve got the answer! You can expect to make between $16 and $22 an hour with Shipt.
Keep reading to learn all about the ins and outs of becoming a Shipt shopper.
What is a Shipt shopper?
For this gig, you’ll be shopping for other people and delivering their groceries within a set time frame. You’ll pick up household essentials from stores like Target, shop for bulk items from Costco, and grab wellness materials at CVS, to name a few common retailers.
Everything from accepting orders, completing jobs, and delivering groceries is all done within the Shipt app. This grocery shopper job offers flexibility! The Shipt shopper support system ensures that you never feel alone when completing an order.
Shipt shopper requirements
- Be at least 18 years old
- Pass a background check
- Current mailing address
- Valid U.S. driver’s license and auto insurance
- A reliable vehicle made after 1996
- Knowledge of product selection
- Ability to lift 45 pounds
- An iPhone with iOS 10 or newer or an Android version 5.1 or newer
How to apply for Shipt
Step 1: Go to Shipt.com or download the app.
Step 2: Answer a short questionnaire about yourself.
Step 3: Submit video responses to help them get to know you.
Step 4: Sign the Shipt shopper agreement.
Step 5: Send in copies of the required documentation, like your driver’s license, insurance information, vehicle information, and current address.
Step 6: Get approved and start shopping!
Shipt shopper pay
- The base pay structure is $5 + 7.5% of the total order value.
- Expect to make between $16 to $22 an hour.
- You’ll get paid per order, meaning the more you shop, the higher your earnings.
- Order requests will give you an estimated payment in relation to the effort required to complete the order.
- You keep 100% of your tips.
Shipt shopper pay schedule
Getting paid with Shipt is easy! You’ll receive an automatic direct deposit every Friday. That means you’ll get paid for the work you did from Monday to Sunday.
Can’t wait until Friday? You can withdraw funds at any time! Just click “withdraw” in the app. There are no fees for withdrawing your cash early.
Expenses to consider
- As an independent contractor, you’ll be responsible for setting money aside for self-employment taxes. The current rate nationwide is 15.3% of income earned.
- As a driver, you’re often required to have more personal insurance to cover all of your bases. You can browse for different driver insurance options at autoinsurance.org to help you find the best rate.
- The cost of vehicle maintenance and repairs is likely to go up due to the mere fact that you’re driving more frequently and putting more miles on your vehicle.
- If you don’t drive a car that was made after 1996, you’ll need a newer vehicle, which is yet another expense to consider. With a new car on your hands, you can expect to pay anywhere between $397 and $548 per month for the car payment.
Shipt shopper tips
- Get in on the action-packed time slots. The busiest times to work are from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. everyday.
- Whether your plan is to work a few hours per day or a few days per week, aim for the days with the most demand. Work Sundays, Mondays, and Saturdays, in that order, to receive even more orders and higher tips.
- Go over your assigned shopping list ahead of time to get an idea of what you’ll be looking for at the store. The app will provide you with aisle numbers for each product, and it also sorts your list by category. Being prepared will help you save on your shopping time.
- Customer service matters, and it ties into customers’ likelihood to engage in the Shipt tipping option. When you provide great customer service, you’re likely to get a higher tip. Be sure to communicate clearly with customers and contact them in instances where you have to make substitutions for certain items. Always send a drop-off notification and a thank you text once orders are complete.
- Claiming smaller orders can offer major benefits, like increased tips and a boost in your acceptance rating. When you have a higher acceptance rating, you’ll often be one of the first to see new available orders.
- Go online during major events like the Superbowl and St. Patrick’s Day to take advantage of high demand and reap the benefits of large orders.
- Shop during the holiday season to score bonuses. Shipt has been known to offer bonuses ranging from $50 to $500.
- Take advantage of shopper perks. You’ll automatically get Shipt shopper perks once you’re approved to take orders, giving you access to insurance discounts, medical coverage, discounted prescription plans, and so much more.
Shop for Shipt and take control of your income
Shipt is a great way to earn extra money while exploring your neighborhood and being your own boss. As an independent contractor, it’s important that you stay on top of your finances.
When you’re a RoarMoney℠ member, you’ll get to take the worry out of tracking your income and planning for the future. For only $1 per month, you’ll be able to easily track your Shipt earnings and add to your income all from the palm of your hand!
Get started today by downloading the MoneyLion app. It’s easy to sign up, there are no hidden fees, and your bank account will definitely thank you!