According to a Bankrate survey, 44 million Americans have a side hustle (i.e., a side job to earn extra cash). These side hustlers are earning much more than spare change, too. Of the 86% of people who say they earn money from a side job every month, 36% are making $500 or more.
Ready to make extra cash?
Here are 11 legit ways to make extra money when your bank balance looks light:
- Be a petsitter or caregiver. You can earn cash by pet-sitting, baby-sitting, house-sitting, and elder care. For example, babysitters often make $20/hour or more. Sites like Care.com connect you with folks looking for caregivers, and you choose jobs that work for you
- Be a translator. If you’re bilingual or multilingual, do a Google search for “Get paid to translate.” You’ll be amazed how many companies are looking for people to provide ad-hoc translation services by phone or online.
- Sell your stuff. You can make good money by selling your unwanted things on sites like Ebay, Craigslist, ThredUp, and more. Turn that 80s dress or neglected fondue pot into cash. Everything old is new again.
- Transcribe audio. If you know how to listen and type, this flexible side job could be for you. Search “Transcription services” online to find providers looking to hire temporary transcribers.
- Tutor others. Teachers can offer their skills as online or in-person academic tutors. Demand goes up near standardized test times, midterms and finals, and admissions season. You can earn $20 – $50 per hour, depending on your experience and subject.
- Be a delivery driver. Amazon Flex hires local delivery drivers for flexible hours. Many businesses in your area, like florists or restaurants, may also be looking for delivery drivers. You could make money while you’re out and about.
- Join a focus group. Companies use focus groups to test new products and ideas. In return for your opinion, you can earn money, free products, and/or redeemable points. Find opportunities by searching online.
- Sell your textbooks. You can earn a decent percentage of your textbooks’ original cost by reselling them online. It’s easy, and the money adds up quickly. You’ll never read them again, so turn them into cash using Amazon, BookFinder, and other book reseller sites.
- Get a virtual Amazon job. Match your skills and schedule with opportunities on Amazon’s list of virtual/work-from-home jobs. Also, on Amazon’s Mechanical Turk platform, people post work requests for specific prices. You browse and choose tasks to complete from home and in your own time.
- Promote products on social. You can earn sales commissions by promoting other company’s products on your blog or social media posts. This is often referred to as “affiliate marketing.” Use that phrase to search for opportunities online.
- Use Instacash advances. You can get up to $250 in seconds with 0% APR Instacash when have a hot date or a pending bill!
What you gonna do with all that cash?
Now that you’re hustling like a pro, you can put your earnings toward building your savings cushion. MoneyLion Credit Builder Plus makes it super easy by giving you access to low-rate loans, a managed investment account, a checking account, rewards, and more.
With Credit Builder Plus, you’ll have access to a low APR loan whenever you need it, so you can tackle unexpected expenses while keeping your savings on track.