According to a Bankrate survey, 44 million Americans have a side hustle (i.e., a side job to earn extra cash). These side hustlers are earning much more than spare change, too. Of the 86% of people who say they earn money from a side job every month, 36% are making $500 or more.
Ready to make extra cash?
Here are 11 legit ways to make extra money when your bank balance looks light:
- Be a petsitter or caregiver. You can earn cash by pet-sitting, baby-sitting, house-sitting, and elder care. For example, babysitters often make $20/hour or more. Sites like Care.com connect you with folks looking for caregivers, and you choose jobs that work for you
- Be a translator. If you’re bilingual or multilingual, do a Google search for “Get paid to translate.” You’ll be amazed how many companies are looking for people to provide ad-hoc translation services by phone or online.
- Sell your stuff. You can make good money by selling your unwanted things on sites like Ebay, Craigslist, ThredUp, and more. Turn that 80s dress or neglected fondue pot into cash. Everything old is new again.
- Transcribe audio. If you know how to listen and type, this flexible side job could be for you. Search “Transcription services” online to find providers looking to hire temporary transcribers.
- Tutor others. Teachers can offer their skills as online or in-person academic tutors. Demand goes up near standardized test times, midterms and finals, and admissions season. You can earn $20 – $50 per hour, depending on your experience and subject.
- Be a delivery driver. Amazon Flex hires local delivery drivers for flexible hours. Many businesses in your area, like florists or restaurants, may also be looking for delivery drivers. You could make money while you’re out and about.
- Join a focus group. Companies use focus groups to test new products and ideas. In return for your opinion, you can earn money, free products, and/or redeemable points. Find opportunities by searching online.
- Sell your textbooks. You can earn a decent percentage of your textbooks’ original cost by reselling them online. It’s easy, and the money adds up quickly. You’ll never read them again, so turn them into cash using Amazon, BookFinder, and other book reseller sites.
- Get a virtual Amazon job. Match your skills and schedule with opportunities on Amazon’s list of virtual/work-from-home jobs. Also, on Amazon’s Mechanical Turk platform, people post work requests for specific prices. You browse and choose tasks to complete from home and in your own time.
- Promote products on social. You can earn sales commissions by promoting other company’s products on your blog or social media posts. This is often referred to as “affiliate marketing.” Use that phrase to search for opportunities online.
- Use Instacash advances. You can get up to $250 in seconds with 0% APR Instacash when have a hot date or a pending bill!
What you gonna do with all that cash?
Now that you’re hustling like a pro, you can put your earnings toward building your savings cushion. MoneyLion Credit Builder Plus makes it super easy by giving you access to low-rate loans, a managed investment account, a checking account, rewards, and more.
With Credit Builder Plus, you’ll have access to a low APR loan whenever you need it, so you can tackle unexpected expenses while keeping your savings on track.
MoneyLion Checking Account provided by, and MoneyLion Visa® Debit Card issued by, Lincoln Savings Bank, Member FDIC. Terms and conditions apply.
Investment advisory services provided by ML Wealth, LLC. Investment Accounts Are Not FDIC Insured • No Bank Guarantee • Investments May Lose Value. For important information and disclaimers relating to the MoneyLion Investment Account, see Investment Account FAQs and FORM ADV. Broker-Dealer may charge a $0.25 withdrawal fee, among other fees. Funded accounts are subject to administrative fee of $1 per quarter.
Current Credit Builder Plus membership required for Credit Builder Plus loan eligibility; the $19.99 monthly fee will be withdrawn from your linked bank account. All Credit Builder Plus loans are made by either exempt or state-licensed subsidiaries of MoneyLion Inc. The Credit Builder Plus loan may, at lender’s discretion, require a portion of the loan proceeds to be deposited into a reserve account managed by ML Wealth, LLC and held by Drivewealth LLC, member SIPC and FINRA. The funds in this account will be placed into a money market cash management or FDIC bank sweep vehicle, and may generate interest at prevailing market rates. You will not be able to access the portion of your loan proceeds held in the credit reserve account until you have paid off your loan, and so long as your Credit Builder Plus membership payments are current. If you default on your loan, your credit reserve account may be liquidated by the lender to partially or fully satisfy your outstanding indebtedness. May not be available in all states.Credit Reserve Accounts Are Not FDIC Insured • No Bank Guarantee • Investments May Lose Value. For important information and disclaimers relating to the MoneyLion Credit Reserve Account, see Investment Account FAQs and FORM ADV.
A Credit Builder Plus loan may or may not improve your credit score. Credit scores are the result of your personal credit practices.
Cash advance requires current membership in Credit Builder Plus ($19.99 monthly fee) or Instacash with Banking ($9.99 monthly fee) membership programs. Instacash with Banking monthly fee is waived for members who connect and maintain recurring eligible direct deposits into their MoneyLion Checking Accounts. All Credit Builder Plus and Instacash with Banking members are automatically eligible to access either $25 or $50 of cash advance, depending on creditworthiness. Members can increase their cash advance limit to up to $250 by connecting and maintaining recurring eligible direct deposits into their MoneyLion Checking Accounts and after up to three consecutive direct deposits have cleared, or at MoneyLion’s discretion. See Membership Agreement and Cash Advance FAQs for more information.
MoneyLion rewards points are subject to terms and conditions, see here.