The Uber car rental program is simple to join and takes just a few minutes to sign up. Uber recognizes that not having a car can limit someone who wants to drive for Uber. The Uber rental car program removes that barrier making it easier to become a driver.
To get started, open your driver app, choose the Vehicles section on the partner dashboard, and indicate that you need a car. Uber rental partners include Avis, Hertz, Kinto Share, Getaround, and Zipcar.
Select a vehicle and schedule a pick-up appointment. When you pick up the car at a nearby rental location, you pay for the vehicle at the rental desk. You’ll also have the option to add extras like insurance, a GPS, or child seats and may need to put down a security deposit.
What are the requirements to drive with Uber?
Uber drivers have to meet a few minimum requirements, including the following:
- Age: You must be at least 21 years old.
- Legality: A valid driver’s license and proof of residency are required.
- Screening: A screening will check your driving history and criminal record.
- Insurance: You’ll need to provide proof of insurance even if the car is a rental car.
How much does it cost to rent a car through Uber?
Rental costs with the Uber rental car program depend on the length of the rental. Weekly rental rates are as low as $260 per week before taxes, which can vary depending on the area. Other factors, like the type of car you rent and the car rental company you choose to rent from, will affect your overall rental cost.
Can I use my own rental car to drive with Uber?
Drivers cannot use rental cars that Uber has not approved as part of its partnership program. Attempting to use a rental vehicle that Uber has not authorized could lead to your termination from the platform.
Which rental car companies work with Uber?
Uber has partnered with several car rental companies to provide rental solutions to eligible drivers. Uber rental partners include Avis, Hertz, KINTO Share, Getaround, and Zipcar. Partner availability will vary based on your city and region.
Is there a penalty for canceling my Uber rental car?
The cancellation policy of the Uber rental car program varies based on the policies of the partner in question. For example, some partners offer free cancellation within 24 hours of booking, while others impose a fee for canceling a rental car. Therefore, you should consult your chosen Uber car rental partner to learn more about its cancellation policy.
Top features of the Uber car rental program
The Uber car rental program offers ease of use, flexibility, and a low entry cost. You can make money for a couple of hours, days, or weeks with the Uber car rental program. Here’s more information about the program’s best features.
No long-term contracts
Choose to rent a car for an hour, a few days, or an entire month. This ultimate flexibility makes the Uber car rental program an industry leader. You’ll get a car without agreeing to long-term commitments. You can return the vehicle and pick up another whenever you need it.
Cars for your lifestyle
Many Uber car rental partners allow you to pick a car that suits your lifestyle. You can choose a van to drive families, rent a truck to help people move, or transport people in luxury and style. Whatever you decide, there is something to fit your needs. In addition, personal driving time is included in the Uber car rental program, so securing low rental rates is another potential plus.
If you live in a city, the flexibility to rent a car and drive for Uber when you want is another. You’ll be able to avoid parking fees and expenses associated with long-term car ownership. Uber will provide you with several car options to choose from so that you can find your best personal fit.
With the Uber car rental program, you have many car options, making it easy to get a car whenever you need one. You don’t have to worry about your car breaking down at any point. Instead, cars will be ready for you whenever you’re ready to work. Many of the Uber rental partner cars come with even more benefits, including:
- Unlimited mileage
- Car maintenance
- Car insurance
Check with the individual Uber car rental partner for their policies, return policy, and availability.
Advantages and disadvantages of renting cars with Uber
While the convenience of a rental car when you want to drive for Uber is a big plus, weigh these pros and cons before you join the Uber car rental program:
- Low cost of entry: If car ownership is out of reach, the Uber car rental program is a great way to earn money that only requires a small financial commitment.
- Little-to-no hassle: The rental partners take care of all maintenance and repairs associated with their rental vehicles. If your car breaks down, they will give you a new one to drive.
- Flexibility: You can choose how long your rental period is and rent a car when you need it. Even if you own a car, you can still use Uber rental programs to rent other vehicles and drive with Uber.
- Reliability: Have an older car? With the Uber car rental program, you can drive new or like-new vehicles that have been excellently maintained so that you don’t have to worry about car problems.
- Low pay: Uber drivers tend to receive lower compensation, and when factoring in rental costs, your take-home pay can fall below minimum wage. Remember that your income will depend on the number of hours you work and the area where you’re driving for Uber so you can make more.
- Costs and penalties: If you don’t read the fine print, you can pay significantly more for insurance or extra miles with some of Uber’s car rental partners. Ask questions and read the fine print.
- Lack of opportunities: Depending on where you live, getting enough rides during the hours you’re available to drive might be challenging. This is especially true in rural areas, towns, or small cities.
Uber car rental program vs. Lyft express
Lyft Express is one of the USA’s main competitors of the Uber car rental program. Uber and Lyft were launched in 2012 to compete with taxi companies through digital ride services. Lyft Express functions similarly to the Uber car rental program. That means it allows drivers without cars to drive for the rideshare service.
- Both partner with Flexdrive and Hertz.
- Both offer flexible rental periods.
- Both rental providers take care of all vehicle maintenance and repairs.
- Rentals can be selected through the Uber or Lyft app.
While they seem similar, there are a few key differences between the Uber car rental program and Lyft Express.
- Lyft Express is based in North America, while the Uber rental program is available in many countries worldwide.
- You must be 25 years old to rent a car through Lyft Express. The minimum age requirement for Uber car rental is 21, as long as you have at least 3 years of driving experience.
- The Lyft Express rentals include insurance, depending on the state, which is only sometimes included with Uber car rental providers.
- The Uber car rental program has more rental partners than Lyft Express, including Avis, KINTO Share, Getaround, and Zipcar.
While both services are excellent, Uber has more options for young drivers and a wider network of car rental partners worldwide.
Weigh the Pros and Cons
The Uber rental car program is a great way to take advantage of Uber if you don’t have a vehicle. Consider your location, the pay, and additional costs when renting a car through Uber. You can take advantage of the flexibility that being an Uber driver provides, get some extra cash, and gain access to a nice car.
How long does it take before I can drive for Uber and do the car rental program?
It only takes a few minutes to sign up and the review process can take a few days.
Where can I get more information on the Uber car rental program?
You can find the information directly from Uber at its website.
Does Uber rent cars?
You can rent a car to drive for Uber for as low as $260 a week depending on your area.