The Uber car rental program gives drivers who don’t have access to a car the opportunity to become Uber drivers via rideshare rentals. With the Uber car rental program, you can rent cars hourly, weekly, or long-term.
Plus, you’ll get to choose the hours you work. If you are looking for the perfect job, and you love to drive while interacting with people, this might be a great fit for you! Whether you are saving up to buy your own car or you simply prefer the freedom that rentals offer, the Uber car rental program is a way to start earning more on your terms.
As an Uber driver, the Uber app will match you with customers, calculate the charges for you, and suggest tips on how to get from point A to point B as safely as possible. Today, we’re going to cover everything you need to know about the Uber rental car program, from driver requirements to cancellation charges and more!
Table of Contents
How does the Uber rental car program work?
The Uber car rental program is simple to join as it takes only a few minutes to sign up and start driving. The goal is to remove the boundary of car ownership so that anyone who wants to drive for Uber can become a driver.
All you have to do is enter the Uber app as a driver and indicate that you need a car. You can also visit the “Vehicles” section on the partner dashboard. Uber rental partners include Avis, Hertz, Kinto Share, Getaround, and Zipcar.
From there, all you have to do is select a vehicle and schedule a pick-up appointment. When you pick up the car at a nearby rental location, you’ll need to pay for the vehicle at the rental desk. You’ll also have the option to add extras like insurance, a GPS, or child seats. You will also often need to put down a security deposit.
What are the requirements to drive with Uber?
Uber drivers have to meet a few minimum requirements, including the following:
- Age: You must be at least 21 years old.
- Legality: A valid driver’s license and proof of residency are required.
- Screening: A screening will check your driving history and criminal record.
- Insurance: You’ll need to provide proof of insurance even if the car is a rental car.
How much does it cost to rent a car through Uber?
Rental costs with the Uber rental car program depend on the length of the rental. Weekly rental rates are as low as $260 per week. Other factors, like the type of car that you rent and the car rental company you choose to rent from, will affect the overall cost of your rental.
Can I use my own rental car to drive with Uber?
Drivers cannot use rental cars that have not been approved by Uber as part of their partnership program. Attempting to use a rental car that has not been authorized by Uber could lead to your termination from the platform.
Which rental car companies work with Uber?
Uber has partnered with several car rental companies to provide rental solutions to eligible drivers. Uber rental partners include Avis, Hertz Kinto Share, Getaround, and Zipcar. Partner availability will vary based on your city and region.
Is there a penalty for canceling my Uber rental car?
The cancellation policy of the Uber rental car program varies based on the policies of the partner in question. Some partners offer free cancellation within 24 hours of booking while others impose a fee for canceling a rental car. You should consult with your chosen Uber car rental partner to learn more about their cancellation policy.
Uber car rental program best features
Some of the best features of the Uber car rental program are its ease of use, flexibility, and low entry cost. You can choose to make money for a couple of hours, days, or weeks with the Uber car rental program. Here’s more information about the program’s best features!
No long-term contracts
Choose to rent a car for an hour, a few days, or an entire month. This ultimate flexibility makes the Uber car rental program an industry leader. You’ll get a car without having to agree to long-term commitments, too! Choose to return the car at any time, and pick up another one whenever you need it.
Cars for your lifestyle
Many of the Uber car rental partners allow you to pick a car that suits your lifestyle. You can choose a van to drive families, rent a truck to help people move, or transport people in luxury and style via a convertible. Personal driving time is included within the Uber car rental program, so being able to secure low rental rates is another potential plus.
If you live in a city, the flexibility to rent a car and drive for Uber when you want is another advantage because you’ll be able to avoid parking fees and avoid expenses associated with long-term car ownership. Uber will provide you with several car options to choose from so you’ll be able to find your best personal fit.
The Uber car rental program makes it easy to get a car whenever you need one. You don’t have to worry about your car breaking down at any point either. Instead, cars will be ready for you whenever you’re ready to work. Many of the Uber rental partner cars come with even more benefits, including the following:
- Unlimited mileage
- Car maintenance
- Car insurance
Be sure to check with the individual Uber car rental partner for their policies, return policy, and availability.
Advantages & disadvantages of renting cars with Uber
While the convenience of a rental car when you want to drive for Uber is a big plus, there are other pros and cons to consider before you join the Uber car rental program:
The following are some of the advantages of the Uber car rental program.
- Low cost of entry. If car ownership is out of reach, the Uber car rental program is a great way to start earning money that only requires a small financial commitment.
- Little-to-no hassle. The rental partners take care of all maintenance and repairs associated with their rental vehicles. If your car breaks down, they will give you a new one to drive!
- Flexibility. You can choose how long your rental period is and rent a car when you need it. Even if you own a car, you can still choose to use Uber rental programs to rent other cars and drive with Uber.
- Reliability. If you have an older car, the Uber car rental program will allow you to drive new or like-new cars that have been excellently maintained so that you don’t have to worry about car problems.
Here are the disadvantages of the Uber car rental program.
- Low pay. Uber drivers have notoriously received lower pay. When you have to pay rental costs on top of already receiving a lower pay rate, your take-home pay can fall below minimum wage, though your exact pay will depend on the number of hours you work and the area in which you’re driving for Uber.
- Costs and penalties. If you don’t read the fine print, you can end up paying significantly more for insurance or extra miles with some of Uber’s car rental partners.
- Lack of opportunities. Depending on where you live, it might be difficult to get enough rides during the hours that you’re available to drive. This is especially true in rural areas, towns, or small cities.
Uber car rental program vs Lyft express
Lyft Express is one of the main competitors of the Uber car rental program in the USA. Both Uber and Lyft were launched in 2012 to compete with taxi companies through digital ride services.
Lyft Express functions similarly to the Uber car rental program. That means it provides drivers without cars the opportunity to drive for the rideshare service.
- Both Uber car rentals and Lyft Express partner with Flexdrive and Hertz.
- Both offer flexible rental periods.
- Both rental providers take care of all vehicle maintenance and repairs.
- Rentals can be selected through the company apps.
In addition to these similarities, there are a few key differences between the Uber car rental program and Lyft Express.
- Lyft Express is based in North America, while the Uber rental program is available in many countries all around the world.
- You must be at least 25 years old to rent a car through Lyft Express. The minimum age requirement for Uber car rental is 21, as long as you have at least 3 years’ worth of driving experience.
- The Lyft Express rentals include insurance, depending on the state, which is not always included with Uber car rental providers.
- The Uber car rental program has more rental partners than Lyft Express, including Avis, Kinto Share, Getaround, and Zipcar.
While both services are excellent, Uber has more options, especially for young drivers, as well as a more extensive network of car rental partners in the entire world.
Sign up for the Uber rental car program and start earning today!
The Uber car rental program is a great opportunity for drivers in search of a side hustle or a full-time career. Thanks to its flexibility and accessibility, Uber as a side job is a way for anyone to earn additional income. You’ll get to avoid the hassle of car ownership while earning money just like other Uber drivers.
With a small upfront investment, short sign-up times, and abundant car availability, the Uber rental car program can be a way to quickly start earning more money and chasing your financial dreams.
Need some cash upfront to rent your first car? Snag a MoneyLion Instacash advance and get the cash float you need to get on the road. Download the MoneyLion app and get up to $250 instantly–with 0% APR!